Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Transitions

In just a few days, we are celebrating the wedding of our son. Words cannot express how excited and happy my husband and I are that he has found his soul mate and that we will be there to help the two of them mark their transition from singles to a couple starting their journey together.


But, there is a bit of sadness too. It seems like only yesterday that we were anxiously awaiting his arrival. Every day of my pregnancy was exciting as I imagined this tiny human being forming. His first kicks were monumental. And then he arrived—three weeks late, but so welcome—and we were overwhelmed with the love that we felt and the bond that formed instantly.


Like every set of young parents, we were so anxious to mark off the milestones—smiling, sitting, crawling, walking, talking, etc.—and the eighteen years before he would be leaving us for college seemed like forever. We made sure we supported his interests and activities, and we could always be found at the school musicals, sporting events, ski slopes, and the local community theatre plays.


And now we look back and wonder where the time went. What seemed like forever has flashed by, and our son’s new future with his beautiful wife is just beginning. We’re so excited, but I know I will be a little teary eyed on the big day, remembering the time and love that led up to this very special wedding.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent start, my friend - I'm proud of you! And good writing, by the way. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mama. This is quite a day of change. You have been and always will be the best mom in the world!!

    ReplyDelete